Author Interview With Martin Wilsey

Friday, 15 January 2016
In this interview we talk with science fiction maestro Martin Wilsey about his love for writing and the genre. So, lets get started:

Why do you write?
I write because I enjoy it. It’s amazing how fast television and Facebook get really old.
When did you decide to become a writer?
A few years ago I sustained a severe spine injury. I ended up spending a lot of time trapped in my recliner. After getting bored of TV and movies and the computer I decided to start writing just to keep my sanity. I started writing every day. And when you get in the habit of writing that much pretty soon you got a novel.
What genre are your books?

So far all my books are science fiction novels. I have a few outlines of stories in other genres but so far really enjoying writing science fiction.

What draws you to this genre?

When I was young I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy. It’s what I enjoyed the most. I still read a lot of science fiction. I switch back and forth between new fiction and classic science fiction.

What made you decide to sit down and actually start something?
I always wanted to write a novel. It was one of those bucket list kind of things. And then out of the blue, my brother died. He was 53 years old at the time and I was 51. It really got me re-examining my life and the goals that I had for. The timing with my spine injury really made it a priority.
Do you write full-time or part-time?
I currently write part-time. I really look forward to when I retire so that I can write full-time.
Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
I get home from work about two hours before my wife every day. I feed the cats and sit down and write for two hours. I don’t turn on the TV, I don’t open Facebook, I just sit down, five days a week, and do the work, it’s a habit now.
What have you written?

My first novel is titled Still Falling. My second novel is titled The Broken Cage. These are books one and two of the Solstice 31 Saga. Book 3: Blood of the Scarecrow is scheduled to be released in March 2016.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just seeing where an idea takes you?

I definitely work from an outline. I’m a really big planner when it comes to the plots of my novels. I usually start out with a single sentence, then 10 line plot, then a two-page plot outline, and then a 15 page outline. It really becomes proof against writers block.

How do you market your books?

Marketing is the aspect of being an author that I know the least about. I market on the Internet via social media like Facebook, twitter, my blog, websites like good reads and Amazon.

Is there any marketing technique you used that had an immediate impact on your sales figures?

I have found that twitter combined with the appropriate hashtags and a nice funny clever quick tweet is usually the best marketing. It’s really funny!

Did you make any marketing mistakes or is there anything you would avoid in the future?

I should have created my website myself. I have the skills for it but I hired out the development of the website that’s does the marketing for my Solstice 31 Saga trilogy.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

The best advice I received from an author that I happen to know, was to hammer your way through a first draft all the way to the end. Don’t look back, don’t stop and edit. Just free yourself, give yourself permission, to just write the first draft knowing you’re going to have to go back and revise. Before I learned that I would constantly revise the first chapter. Constantly go back over and over again as I tried to write and it created a very imbalanced story. The first chapters would be heavily edited heavily revised heavily thought through and the last chapters would end up week or not well thought out. By hammering through a first draft you get a very balanced book and as it all gets worked on, it gets the same amount of love in each chapter.

Give us an insight into your main character. What does he do that is so special?

The main character in the Solstice 31 Saga is named Roland Barcus. He’s just a regular guy, a maintenance worker on a deep space survey ship. He isn’t anything special, except he survives.

Where do your ideas come from?    

My ideas come from all over the place. I keep notebooks, pages and pages of notebooks. I am constantly writing down ideas about characters and plots and settings or just a little tiny ideas about anything, allowing me to go back and look at it later.

What is the hardest thing about writing?
For me the hardest thing about writing is finding time. I work full time and I have a family and two children and a beautiful wife in the big house that constantly needs attention. All these things compete for my limited time.
What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
The hardest thing about writing my latest book is that people want it really badly. It’s the final book in the trilogy and people keep sending me emails telling me to type faster!
Which writers inspire you?
Writers that have inspired me include; Robert Heinlein, Arthur Clark, Ray Bradberry, Simon Hawk, William Gibson, J.R.R. Tolkien, HG Wells, Frank Herbert, Harry Harrison, and many others!
What do you do to get book reviews?
I can’t say I proactively do anything to get book reviews. I really don’t pay that much attention to that stuff after the fact. My wife loves reading them! I guess the most I do is simply ask in my blog posts to write an honest review!
How successful has your quest for reviews been so far?
I guess my quest for reviews is been fine. I don’t really know how you would measure success for that.
Broken Cage By Martin Wilsey
What is the current book you are promoting?
 
I am currently promoting the book titled The Broken Cage. It is book 2 in the solstice 31 saga. I am also promoting the audible addition of Still Falling.

If your book were made into a movie, who would you cast?
 
Channing Tatum

What is your next project?
 
My next project is another science fiction novel. It’s not a trilogy. The working title I have so far is A Proper Darkness. It is a dark story about a woman that’s a psychopath as well as the protagonist of the story.

Who is your favorite fictional character and why?

My favorite fictional character that I have not written myself is Ender Wigan.

How do you write your books?
 
My books all start as outlines, written in longhand, on legal pads. Eventually, that outline is transferred to my computer using the writers tool called Scrivener.

Who inspires your writing?
 
Everyone inspires my writing. People I know, people I see in the street, people I see on television. Everybody!

Where do you come up with your stories?
 
That is a really good question. They seem to appear as if by magic from the dark nest of my mind. Sometimes they start with the character, sometimes they start with the setting, sometimes they start with the single event.

Who is your favorite author?
 
If I could only pick one I guess I would have to say my favorite author is Robert Heinlein.

What is one great lesson you have learned as a writer?

The greatest lesson I have learned as a writer is that you have to make it a habit. You can’t wait for inspiration, the Muse will let you down. Write every day.

What is one thing you hate about being a writer?

The only thing I hate about being a writer is I wish I could type faster. As an experiment, I am dictating this interview using a new software tool that I just purchased. It’s doing voice to text and it’s working pretty well!

Tell us something unique about you

I am a research scientist for a government funded think tank. But I mostly drink coffee and go to meetings.

Is there anything else you would like to add that I’ve included?

One other thing I would like to add is that I have been surprised that being a writer is not a completely solitary task. I enjoy going to writers groups, I enjoy working with beta readers and people that give me feedback about my stories, I’ve really enjoy the writer community that I have begun to join!

How can readers discover more about you and you work?


Book Links For Martin Wilsey

No comments :

Post a Comment

Powered By Mad Skills =)